On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 00:20:22 -0500
"Chris Lewis" <cle...@nortel.com> wrote:
> Which puts the extended error code (5.1.1) at the end with the # sign.  Eg:
>
> RFC821-error, text, (#extended error code)
>
> My quick glance at the RFCs and examples coming up from google all show
> such an error being expressed this way instead:
>
> RFC821-error, extended error code, text
>
> Eg:
>
> 550 5.1.1 No such email address sdfkjlksd...@nortel.com
>
> Does someone have a quick reference as to where the "(#...)" & placement
> is standardized?
The extended error code (for example "5.1.1") is specified in RFC 1893,
the (#...) was taken from qmail (I think qmail-smtpd sends something
like "550 Domain not listed in rcpthosts (#5.1.2)").

The google results are RFC 2034 (ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES). If you want
those together with the ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES EHLO keyword, you MUST send
ALL messages in this format.

        Hanno