It doesn't look like it would be very difficult to update your plugin so that
it works using the drop-in method, and the old method as well.  Perhaps with a
config setting that lets people swap between the efficient -vs- paranoid method?

I don't have a preference on this matter, but others that use this plugin may.
Having a backwards compatible option, and a paragraph of POD explaining the
difference (pros & cons) would go a long ways towards smoothing over any
potential objections.

Matt