On Jun 28, 2010, at 11:13 PM, Thorbjørn Lindeijer wrote:

> That Qt Creator allows you to set the directory in which to do the build
> should not be a surprise, nor should it be surprising that this is
> stored in a .user file, since its up to each developer.
>
> Note that this is quite different from setting OBJECTS_DIR, UI_DIR, etc.
> so there is no duplication here. The main purpose of the shadow builds
> is to build against different Qt configurations.

Is the assumption being made that OBJECTS_DIR, UI_DIR, and others should always
be relative paths? If that assumption is true, then it seems to me that
specifying a shadow build directory should not break the .pro file. Perhaps the
difficulty with shadow builds arises when developers put absolute paths in
OBJECTS_DIR and such, because then the OBJECTS_DIR would override the shadow
build dir, rather than work with it. Am I right? If I am missing something,
please explain in more detail how setting the shadow build dir "is quite
different from setting OBJECTS_DIR, UI_DIR, etc."

I do find it an annoyance that when loading a project into Qt Creator for the
first time, that I can find no way to NOT specify a shadow build. I have to go
into the project settings after it is loaded and uncheck the shadow build
option. Did I miss something there?

John