On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 04:23:11PM -0400, Carter, Nathan wrote:

> On Jul 14, 2010, at 4:12 PM, Andre Poenitz wrote:

> >> This can be a lengthy process, you mean?  The good news is that it
> >> only needs to be run after each run of qmake.
> >
> > Is it?
> >
> >  .../src/plugins/fakevim > qmake
> >  .../src/plugins/fakevim > make -n
> >
> >  make: Nothing to be done for `first'.
>
> Didn't make -n give the right answer here?
> Just running qmake doesn't mean that make is going to have anything to do.

But next time a source file changes 'make' _will_ have something to do,
even if no qmake run is needed. Re-using the empty result of the 'make
-n' run after the last qmake run does not solve the problem.

> > Maybe you are aiming at make -B -n:
>
> No way!  I'm aiming to ask make what it will do on the next run, so
> that Creator knows how many build steps *it* will expect make to do
> when Creator runs make.

So running 'make -n' before each "proper" 'make', i.e. spending 50 more
seconds when building e.g. Creator, is needed after all?

This seem to contradict your earlier statement "The good news is that it
only needs to be run after each run of qmake."

Andre'