This gets me thinking: it would be really nice if there were more
information on what exactly QML is doing behind the scene. What
impacts performance, and what doesn't.

What costs the most, in QML? Bindings? Javascript evaluation? Memory
allocation for items? And why? Yes, I'm aware that some of those
questions have an answer on
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/main-snapshot/qdeclarativeperformance.html but
they only give the do's and dont's here, not the why.