I have just recently down loaded 4.7 for Linux and there is no source code
for the  "getting started programming with qml" tutorial anywhere to be
found.

Actually, that kind of makes it a good tutorial, as you are only presented
with the instructions and some code snippets you have to think a little bit
how to put it all together and do a little experimentation and sideways
research. I managed to put together the working and decorated text editor UI
from that tutorial however I did get a bit stuck at the end and have yet to
get "load" and "save" etc to actually work. I'll get there.