Contact a Federal Student Aid Ombudsman through the US Dept of Education.  Their job is to give you information and help with student loan problems.
You may have to find another doctor to sign the forms.

Jerry

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 12:01 AM
Subject: [QUAD-L] STUDENT LOANS

Does anyone know anything about getting defaulted student loans reduced?  I cannot afford the payments because I took out the loan prior to my disability.  My income from SSDI is not enough to make the loan payment.  I was one of fourteen students accepted into a new Honors programs at Indiana University this year, and now I can't even go to college.  Voc rehab cannot help until I resolve this loan matter.  I sent a form (the form that verifies I am disabled so that my loan can be reduced) from the financial aid office, to my doctor three times to verify that I am disabled, and they will not sign it.  I am a quad resulting from a T1 spinal cord injury.  How is that not a disability?  I should be responsible for my debt, but I cannot afford it at this time.  I desperately want to go to school.  Does anyone know what I could do?

<<image/jpeg>>