You DO realize the quantum difference between bouncing a transmitted
signal and the limited range of optics? A great OPTICAL spy sat must
stay in a relative low orbit to be used effectively (reported between
400-800km). Hubble is a great example of the difference in an optical
sat vs communication sat. Hubble is the size of a school bus, while
communications sats might be a couple of ft in dia (not counting solar
panels).
To achieve a stationary orbit a sat MUST be in a Geosynchronous orbit.
It has to do with the speed the Earth rotates and matching that speed
in orbit where it won't be sucked back to Earth due to gravitational
force. Go here for examples of images produced at these alt above Earth:

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/east/

>From NASA.COM  Geosynchronous orbit is approx 22,300 miles altitude,
where a spacecraft makes one orbit of Earth in 24 hours.
Sats used for other purposes rotate the Earth very quickly, the closer
to the Earth, the faster they must go to stay in orbit.

Here is an ex of the "limits" of our optical spy sats (note there are
sometimes up to a 4hr period when there won't be a bird in the right
spot to observe) from :
http://www.fas.org/spp/military/docops/operate/ds/images.htm

"The optical satellites are flying at an altitudes of from 400 to 800
kilometers have a swath width of from 600 to 1000 kilometers to either
side of their ground track. The Lacrosse imaging radar satellite is
flying at a little less than 800 kilometers, and is taking pictures as
much as a 1000 kilometers off of their ground track. When these
satellites are flying over Riyadh in Saudi Arabia, the optical
satellite is going to be able to photograph the area between Kuwait and
Baghdad, and the radar satellite and the higher flying optical
satellites can photograph Baghdad.

In principle the radar is going to be able to take a picture of
anything with an elevation greater than 15 degrees. Based on the
photographs that have been released, the photographic satellite the
elevation is probably limited to more like about 30 degrees. As Figure
2 indicates, this provides a swath width of about 2000 kilometers at an
altitude of 800 kilometers, and a swath of 1200 kilometers from an
altitude of 400 kilometers

In general, these satellites have maneuvered very infrequently for drag-
makeup, usually at intervals of several months, and as a result of
tracking by amateur astronomers, precise orbital elements for five of
these seven satellites have been made available for use in this
analysis."

Stuntman

--
It's not the fall that hurts.