My son who is a C4/C5 incomplete for 6 years just had a super-pubic cath inserted. I tried to talk him out of it for awhile because I was concerned with the surgery. Since he was in the hospital for 5 months after his accident with a collapsed lung, pancreatitis and sepcis I just developed an allergy to hospitals and did no want him cut or stuck anymore. (Forgive me, I'm sure you all have your own stories.) But he made up his mind. Danny was having urinary infections about every month to a month in a half. He also experience a clogged cath almost every week. The nurses at the hospital where he rehabiltated taught us to care for him and we both got pretty skillful at changing his cath. The super-pubic cath was inserted last spring. So far no infections and no clogs. We take him to his urologist once a month to have it changed, but the nurses change the cath. Perhaps this would be good for your friend? This was one time I'm glad my son did not listen to me.

Joan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [QUAD-L] Foley
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 18:12:53 EST

I have a friend that I visit in the hills of Pennsylvania every fall.

He has been using an indwelling Foley for 28 years. Those with indwelling
Foleys know of the erosion of the skin that occurs after using an
indwelling.  His is extensive.

Although still using the foley, he is having problems with urine leakage and
bleeding from the constant irritation.

What choses might he have? He lives in a rural area and probably would need
to go
to a large city or even New York State to get to a GOOD doctor,

GA