Sent: Friday, January 14, 2005 3:07 PM
Subject: [QUAD-L] Stinky urine

I have almost exhausted myself trying to figure out what is causing my smelly urine. We have gone through what I drink, what I eat, and what medicines I take. I drink water 95% of the time and about two Mountain Dew's a day. I would think the Mountain Dew was causing the smell, but I had been drinking Mountain Dew for well over two years and the urine problem only started in April. I did manage to get the doctor to agree to put me on an antibiotic, to kill the few bugs that were active in my urine, even though he was extremely hesitant (as I was also). He only acquiesced after I explain to him how much this problem was affecting my social life. There has been much discussion on appearance and even a little on smell on this list lately. My urine smells so bad that it permeates the 2000 and 4000 cc bags that I wear on my chair (they are covered and most people do not even know they are urine bags). The only way I can contain the smell is to use a ziplock freezer bag and thi! s seems to only work with the 4000 cc bag (I guess it is thicker). Anyway, the antibiotic seemed to squash the smell for about a week and then it returned.

I had a nurse tell me the other day that the smell may be the vitamins I am taking. After thinking about this for quite some time, I realized that my caregiver has been buying my vitamins from Wal-Mart lately. I can't be sure, but I think the time the smell started is about the same time the vitamins were purchased from Wal-Mart. I used to purchase my vitamins from a reputable vitamin store, however, they were pretty costly. I am now so desperate that I am going to go back and pay the higher price for the vitamins in an effort to get my urine back to normal. The aggravating thing is, my urine looks really good and I drink over 1 gallon of water a day. I usually don't see too much sediment, but I do have a problem with my catheter clogging about every two weeks. Currently I am doing irrigation every other day in an effort to alleviate the clogging. I know this is a long description for a short question, but does anyone on your think that vitamins can be the cause of the gr! atuitous smell emitting from my urine.

Billy from Tampa

C2-3

9 years post

Do you Yahoo!?