At 04:04 PM 3/28/2005, Lori Michaelson wrote:
That was worded poorly (my email below) and I know your situation, Jim, and I like and respect you.  You're not like a plant in that you can think and communicate and we KNOW (not guessing) your thoughts and desires because of that.

I'm fortunate that I have access to technology to be able to communicate my thoughts and desires. What if I didn't and someone who did not know me decide my life was not worth saving due to the expense or burden on others? If I had a cuffed trach I would not be able to talk. I would be lying in bed only able to move my eyes and move my mouth.

embryos, a human life? I don't know so I choose to error on the side of life.

spending hundreds of thousands or more to keep 1 premature baby alive, is it worth it? Medical cost would be less if we didn't. It would have died naturally in another part of the world.

a person in a coma, worth the expense of keeping them alive? there is brain activity but when will they come out of the coma, if ever?

giving nutrition to someone who may or may not be aware of what's happening? I don't know so I choose to error on the side of life.

Jim