He has the stander and the upper tone already.  Just got the upper tone off of EBay this summer.  Made quite a buy on it too but getting here was a bit expensive.    Stander is difficult to use because he needs assistance.  I am going to forward your email to him.  I know he will value your experience and advice.    He has a manual and a power chair.  He only uses the sliding board when someone else is helping him but not when he does independent transfers.  He is really just learning to transfer himself regularly.    He is starting to pass on attendants getting him into bed at night.  How do you use the coat hanger?   I really appreciate your feedback and guidance.   Karen

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:18 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] bowel mgmt

karen

    the thing that helped me become indepedent the most was transfering.  i was very weak when i first came home after my accident but i went back to rehab a second time and they helped me build up my strength enough to start moving myself around some .  i started working out, stretching, and getting on my stander.  now i do a lot of stuff myself.

    does your son have a manual or electric wheelchair?  i have both.  when i'm in my electric i put my shower chair against the wall and pin it there with my electric, transfer, move electric.  do everything in reverse to get back in.  when transfering from a manual chair to the shower chair does he use a transfer board?  i used to but after awhile i got enough strength to do it without it.  if he doesn't use a transfer board make sure that he lifts and not scoots to to the other chair.  the wheelchair slides because he's trying to scoot, i used to have that problem.  he may need to build up some more strength.  let me know if you have anymore questions.

luke

here's a tip: a wire coat hanger can aid you in getting yourself dressed.  i can button my pants and shirt, zippers, i've even use it to move the sprinkler around to water our yard.

try these links.

i use an EASY STAND stander frame, which medicaid purchased.

for working out i have an UPPER TONE gym.  it's quad friendly and i had people donate money to help purchase it.  you do need a lot of space for the UPPER TONE, though.