Date: 08/10/05 19:36:51
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] stem cells, ethics, and greed

The University of Wisconsin gets the money and sets the price on what are now contaminated ES cell lines. Limited funding? UW is building a huge facility for stem cell research. The facility far exceeds the so called funding. The limits are restricting the new ES cell lines means that even the labs not using federal money must use ES cell lines that are established.
We will have to disagree on using embryos for research. If you prefer the hundreds of thousands of embryos be destroyed each year at fertility clinics, you should say it that way. Stem cell research holds the potential to change medicine. Diseases like diabetes, kidney failure, heart disease, cancer, traumatic central nervous system injuries become treatable. Stem cell research is the cutting edge of modern medicine.
I have tried to understand the ethical dilemma that some people pop up with but I don't see stem cell research being anymore unethical than harvesting organs from the dying. We are simply harvesting cells from embryos that would otherwise be flushed down the drain.
The South Koreans are doing some remarkable things in creating stem cell lines from many different sources but if you saw the dog in the news you will quickly realize that many of the stem cells being studied are not even from human origin. This points out that America is quickly falling behind. After all, Washington doesn't care who researches it or what is done with it as long as the right people get the money. This is the only ethics that exists within the beltway.
If there was a moral high ground, I think it was shoveled off so we could perform a regime change in Iraq.
Look at the profits going to GWB's friends.
We will build a new street for wal-marts corporate headquarters for 35 million. There is a famine breaking out in Niger. We will build a 250 million dollar bridge to an island where fewer than 50 people live, and lets not forget 14 billion for oil companies. Yet it is necessary to cut back medicaid by an equal amount.
I will do my best at this point not to argue over my opinion. Everyone on here can see the information on stem cell research and draw your own conclusions. You certainly don't have to agree with me.