Yesterday's response summed it up but in detail:

* We keep a jug of Clorox in the bathroom.

* We attached a small plastic funnel to about 4 inches of tubing and keep it in a container (that was once used as the holder of sterile water that the syringe is put in to draw fluid from)

* When it's time to clean either bag ... they grab the thing we made and connect the tubing to the tubing on the urine bag.

* My aide or husband pours the small funnel (maybe one and a half inches wide at the top .. one inch funnel depth) full of bleach ... IT drains into the urine bag.  Slow enough so one CAN see it's a small funnel-full.  Or just pinch off the tubing when pouring.

* Then they fill the funnel 4 times with tap water.

* Disconnect our invention from the urine bag.  Take the urine bag and swish or shake it up to clean it out.  Then empty it COMPLETELY AND PRESS ALL THE AIR OUT OF THE BAG AND CLOSE IT OFF AT EACH END.  A CLOSED SYSTEM.

Vinegar only goes so far at cleaning.  BLEACH WILL KILL ANYTHING.

But Eric ... being male and getting a proteus infection in the bladder is rare.  Females unfortunately have our opening extremely close to the anus and since proteus is USUALLY found in the bowel (and being normal THERE but NOT SO in the bladder) ... I'd take a closer look on how you night have contracted it in your urine being male.  Not to get personal ... but the girlfriend and sex thing ....?

We are ESPECIALLY careful and yet I got it in the bladder.  Maybe from one bowel accident in bed, dunno.

Proteus is a bastard and, if not treated, can be very dangerous.

E-coli is much more common.  And is why things like mannose can help easily.

In the twelve years on this list (and others) ... I've found that just as many people with supra-pubics get UTIs as those with foleys.  Some with supra-pubics have complained more.  Either way ... they BOTH have foreign objects in the bladder (catheters).

Lori