I slipped off my sliding board in the 93 and did an awesome job on my left knee. I didn't realize it at first. I was mostly P.O.ed at myself for falling. I went to the doctors the next evening noticing I was feeling awful and thought I had a bad kidney infection and my knee was real swollen.(pretty sure I had hurt it)
Pain meds helped my kidneys. They just put an adjustable velcro splint on my leg and it healed slowly, but I had to start ROM befor it healed and fused in a single position. You may want to see if his discolored urine clears up with some vicodin. Pain can cause kidneys and other organs to mess up. Ya don't feel it but its there.
They should have splinted his leg. I Think you want a 30 degree angle at the knee.
If AD (Autonomic Dysreflexia) starts you should call 911 and goto the ER. Try to get a physiatrist to consult. Watch his blood preasure. Make him comfortable if he starts running a fever. Use ice on the knee. and try some pain meds.
If kidney output keeps dropping, head to the ER. I'm willing to bet the pain is causing what appears to be a UTI.

good luck,
john