Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 6:29 PM
Subject: [QUAD-L] Indwelling foley

I have a question concerning bladder cancer and bladder removal.

I am a 55-year-old male, 40 years post SCI, and had used an indwelling Foley catheter for all of the 40 years.

Over the past six-month I have had problems with leakage and a recent examination showed a mass in the bladder.  The doctor took a biopsy, of which it will be another week before the results are known.

According to the doctor the bladder will probably need to be removed, if not for cancer, because of erosion of using a catheter for that period of time.

The only option that he is suggesting is an external ostomy that will need to be changed twice a week.  I am not wild about that idea as I understand that they leak frequently and need to be replaced often.

Are there other options to be considered and where would I look.  Needless to say I am scared.

Thanks,

Lou