Once it costs more to fix or it simply is unfixable, insurance companies and
medicare are abliged to replace them even though they want to get 5 years from
a powerchair (7 years now). I have over 8500 hours on my chair in under 4
years. I know it won't last 7 years. Cars get far less use and are not expected
to perform on a daily basis with the consistancy that is demanded of a power
wheelchair. My dads van gets less than 3 hours use a month. My sisters car gets
less than 5 hours use a week. My sister gets a new car every six years. A
wheelchair gets use that is most in common with cars belonging to traveling
salespeople. I try to keep a backup chair but in actuality, I have wheelchair
parts. That thing isn't going to work with new batteries. I've swiped 3
electro-mechanical actuators for use on the chair I use daily. The tires are
dry rotted and the drive motors pull drastically to the left.
I know a lot of you love your quickies, but the one I had burned the curcuit
board after a few months and the actuators that controlled the back and legs
quit after a little more than a year. It was hard to beat for range and speed,
it was the add ons that always died. It took a month to find a circuit board
that would control the extras on my quickie so, if I don't sing the wonders of
that model, you know why.
I still try to visit medicare offices regularly and rearrange furniture.
Medicare doesn't seem to hire handicapped, and I don't consider drug and
alchohol rehab to be handicapped. Being senselessly obese is not handicapped,
it is the result of glutany and fits in the same catagory as emphisema and
still smoking. If you weigh 300lbs. you need to start thinking about diet and
exercise, not SSDI. The army doesn't give out medals for self inflicted wounds,
why should society reward them?
These people take our parking spaces, our jobs, and finally walk off with any
respect that we earned by beating the odds and trying to live productive lives.

john on anti biotics