Greetings Tubagus from Indonesia!  Not from this e-mail, below, but from
your most recent one about having a positive attitude and having a great job
by going to college, etc. is fantastic!

During the school year of 1994-1995 my ex-significant other and I hosted a
foreign exchange student from Jakarta Indonesia.  Are you from Jakarta?

This is weird because I was just going to post to the quad list why most of
us on the list are in the United States.  It may sound like a silly question
(WHY) but the Internet is now nationwide and there are numerous, numerous
towns, cities and countries that are like the United States and have
Internet access.  But 99% of the members on this list are from United States

We have, or had, a member from the United Kingdom, one from South Africa
(others can help me remember) and one great guy whose name is Shahidul Alam
and he is from Bangladesh.  He was the one who had a fantastic site that
listed a whole bunch of quadriplegics, their ages, how long post injury,
where they are from, some photos of folks, etc. etc. etc. but I see that he
has taken it down.  :-(.  However, his regular website is still active and
can be seen here:  http://www.daruchinidip.com/  As you will see... at the
bottom is a link called "SCI List Site" but it is currently inactive.  I
will have to write to him someday to ask him why he discontinued it.  In my
opinion... it was one of the best because it was so user friendly.  Everyone
was in alphabetical order by first name and the layout was great.

Anyway Tubagus ... my injury occurred in October of 1979.  A motor vehicle
accident whereby I was the passenger.  I also did not let anything get in my
way.  Despite losing my father a year before in 1978 to liver failure and
then losing my mother to terminal pancreatic cancer in 1981.  I finished
high school (I had to go an extra year because I was in the hospital an
entire year post injury) and then went to college and then on to work.  I
decided to stop working in 1994 because of my diagnosis of syringomyelia
which has lowered my endurance extremely not to mention having my body
hyperactive to so many different stimuli.

But it will be interesting to know if you are from Jakarta!  I think if I
knew the language a little bit better... I would be moving there for all of
the extra help that can be gotten very cheaply.

Lori Michaelson
Age - 43
C4/5 complete quad, 28 years post
Tucson, AZ