I am in chronic pain all the time as well.  Like Corie Jones (a list member)
we can't find anything that is of real help.  I have run the gamut of
narcotics, tens units, heating pads, etc..  I was on OxyContin since late
1998 or early 1999 until January of last year when my insurance company
stopped paying for it.  Which was just as well as I do not think it was
helping.  It was terrible getting off of it but I finally did and then
noticed not much of a difference so I was right.  Strangely enough though...
the narcotics seem to help with the spasms more than any other drug for
spasms.

Anyway, Vicodin is just a hydrocodone with Tylenol.  Hydrocodone Bitartrate
and Acetaminophen = Vicodin.  Oxycodone is it much different from
hydrocodone either.  My husband just had some surgery and the doctor gave
him Vicodin him for pain.  He took it right after surgery but it just made
him drowsy which allowed him to sleep through the pain.  Since then he began
to take ibuprofen (Advil) every four hours instead.  But the pain got worse
again today so you broke down and took a couple of Vicodin which is allowing
him to sleep at least.

In sum, I am glad that I am off the narcotics for the most part and I just
learn to live with the pain.  Keeping busy is the only thing that helps
along with sleeping.  By the time I have warmed up* really good* in bed
before sleep ... I put an ice gel pack on my back which freezes the pain
there and allows me to sleep.  I am still on amitriptyline at bedtime for
sleep as well.

And the wonderful warmth of the Southwest Sun helps me immensely!  It is
sunny and 72° here today.

Lori Michaelson
Age - 43
C4/5 complete quad, 28 years post