For the last 8 years I've been confined to a wheelchair due to a spinal cord
injury.  The 42 years prior I lived a life looking up at people not because of
my injury but because I'm a 4'6 dwarf.  Yes, I said dwarf not midget as midget
is a derogatory in the dwarf community.  A little like the 'N' in the black
community.

Living life as a dwarf was a cake walk compared to my life now, as I am now
pretty much home bound and with the exception of a few things am dependent on
someone to assist me.   I can feed myself, if the food is cut up and of course
prepared.  I can get my shirt off most of the time, but all other clothes have
to be put on and taken of my wife or daughter.  When I'm out in the community,
there are many times that the city sidewalk don't have curb cut outs or theres
a cut out on one end not other.  Believe me the city gets tired of me showing
up at their monthly meeting complaining about this or that.  In stores I will
usually ask someone to reach something off the shelf or if no one comes, I'll
reach as high as I can and knock something that won't break down to the ground.
 Nothing pisses off a store manager than to haves for his displays come
tumbleing down like a stack of 2 litter plastic bottles, toilet paper, peaches
and oranges etc.  Now every time
 I go back to the same store all the store employees are aware I'm there.

In most cases though when I am out most people are more than happy to assist
me.  It's really all in the way you ask for that assistance that matters.