hi Joan,
I saved your response from the question I sent you earlier. I've been trying to
think of a way to express  how impressed I am.  Then I get this.
Joan, you blow me away!  I turned 47 on the 14th of December, and I have had
such a struggle with what to do now.  Having only been a quad for just over
three years, and waiting tables or working in an in-home childcare center prior
to my accident, I have no idea where to turn. Alot of people in my life suggest
going to school, which I have not done now for 25 1/2 years.  I was registered
to start for the first time in 22 years one month after my accident.  The field
I was looking into going to school for, does not seem even remotely appealing,
nor do I think it would any longer be a good fit for me. I would like to look
into something that might be recession proof,  but what is these days? friends
mentioned that I should go into volunteer work, but that doesn't pay. How do
you do what you do? I'm scared as hell to get out there in the big bad world.
In between a nonexistent family, and PCAs that don't show up on time in the
morning, or sometimes
 at all, I'd never be able to get ready for class or work.  What's a kid to do,
eh?
Lucinda
C-45 complete?
July 31,' 05.
Minneapolis, Minnesota

When I was first injured I applied for a service dog, and they told me they
had never trained a dog for my level. They suggested that I train my own
dog, but as you all know the first couple of years is usually taken up with
learning how to live in our new bodies-and mindset too.
My youngest daughter was only 15, and we were into showing horses, so that
is what we did for four years. Then life just took over, I designed and had
a house built for myself-luckily my family could do it, so labor was free. I
had sold my original house, so I was able to finance the new house with a
mortgage.
I have worked hard at developing a support system for myself, and as I get
older it is hard to maintain it but so far I have been very fortunate. My
daughter lives in my old house but I do try not to use her for my
 personal
care as I learned very early on that it is hard to maintain a mother
daughter relationship when your daughter is your personal care giver. But
she does help out when necessary.
I have always been an active-some would say pushy-person, and I still am. I
had four mentally retarded young men/boys living with me when I broke my
neck. 18 years later, I still have two of them, and we help each other out,
I am very good at walking people through problems verbally, and they are
very good at following my directions. It definitely works for us.
I volunteer at my grandchildren's school-love working with
kindergartners-and that make sure that I stay involved with young people,
which for me is exhilarating. I am active and serve on two local
organizations as a board member, and have been asked to give some speeches
to local volunteer organizations.
We still have three horses, a greenhouse, five acres to try to
 maintain, so
I do not run out of projects to do. As my mother in law always said-Joan, if
you would stop thinking we would all have less work to do. One day, I am
sure my mind will shut down or at least slow down, and they will all have
less work to do.
This has been my way of coping with the devastation of a spinal cord injury,
each of you have shown so many other ways to cope, and I am so impressed
with the quality of life that all of you on the quad list have achieved for
yourself, that it inspires me to keep on going.
There I go again-motor mouth-good thing I use speech recognition :-) Joan