From: "wheelch...@aol.com" <wheelch...@aol.com>
To: kel...@hughes.net; quad-list@eskimo.com
Sent: Friday, April 17, 2009 3:53:08 PM
Subject: [QUAD-L] Hoyer Straps

Hi Ray!

Hoyer, has been sold ... yet again.  I talked with their "chief tech" today and
he advised me, the two straps you mentioned are "No Longer Available."  The is
a reason.  Insurance underwriters, approved the product back in the 60's when
liability laws did not apply to the product and how it was used.  As the Hoyer
lift gained popularity in the enduser market, so did customer abuse of the
product.  I'm sure it only takes one case before the insurance people cast
their decision to Quash that type of sling.  If you notice today's slings with
weave mesh which offers more protection and less risk to it user and those
doing the lifting.  You are now more protected, because of this.

You can always contact a manufacturer of cargo strapping to restore your strap
slings.

BTW, the same thing happened with scooter trunk lifts using cloth straps for
lifting.  Today those cloth straps have been replaced by AirCraft Quality
Stainless Steel, braided wire.

The person who I talked with also expressed some concerns regarding the
possible Fatigue Factor of your lift after all these years of use.  Depending
on the actual model and how much stress it has been exposed to over the
years.... you might consider..........

Best Wishes

In a message dated 4/17/2009 2:17:10 P.M. Central Daylight Time,