Atta Girl Joan!
Best Wishes

In a message dated 12/5/2009 10:03:47 A.M. Central Standard Time,
poaj...@sbcglobal.net writes:

I  have been one of those who slipped through the cracks, I’ve never been
eligible for any Federal help.  According to the government, I am not
disabled because I do not receive any disability from anyone J.   I did not
have
enough quarters for disability when I broke my neck at 51 big,  and so the
day I turned 65 was a happy one for me because I could now receive  Social
Security and have some insurance.
We  bought a new van in 1991 and vocational rehabilitation paid for the
conversion.  Unfortunately it caught on fire shortly after we made the  last
payment on it, and it was written off.  I used the insurance money  to get my
current van.  It is going to have to make it for the rest of my  life as I
do not want to finance another van.
We  were licensed as a group home for mentally retarded adults/children
when I  broke my neck.  The state talked about revoking our license after I
broke  my neck, but I reminded them of their job discrimination laws and no
more was  said.  After I divorced I continued to have two of the guys that we
served and have done so to this day.  Since Foster Care money is not
taxable it has enabled me to maintain a reasonable standard of living but does
not count against my Social Security benefits, so for me it is a win win
situation.  I can help them mentally to maintain a good standard of  living for
them, and they can help me physically with the things I can no  longer do
i.e.: gardening, cooking, some housework, and the other simpler  things in
life.
Have  a great day everybody.  We are supposed to get our first real winter
storm Sunday night and Monday, 23° for a high and 4 to 6 inches of snow, so
we  will be stocking up our woodpile today.
Joan