Wow,  I just signed into e-mail here thinking of all the pain I am in and
how hard it is to concentrate when the pain is worse than other times.  Like
today and over the last couple days.

Syringomyelia is at the crux of *my* pain problem (like Danny described
below) and I consider THAT to be my disability now more so than
quadriplegia.

Going to a psychologist is *a* waste of time (in my humble opinion).  All
they can really do is sit there and listen to you and TRY or SAY that they
can empathize and offer some suggestions but, other than that, what can they
really DO?  Not much, but a whole lot of
listening.  Also, "going to a psychologist" implies that you have a mental
or emotional problem.  So, they group you in with most of the able-bodied
population out there and that gets one nowhere.

When I worked for an INDEPENDENT LIVING CENTER in New York state... we had a
psychologist that worked there.  He was able-bodied so I always wondered how
in the world he could offer any help to people with disabilities.  He was
also a very laid back guy and I can just picture him sitting there and doing
nothing but listening.

We are not mental cases.  If pain is the culprit... we either have to find
something that makes it somewhat bearable or just livable (like Danny
said).

Keeping busy and keeping my mind off of it helps but, lately, it has been
worse. Why? It could be a million reasons.  Keeping busy usually helps me
but, lately, the pain has been overriding any activities that I have been
doing (which have been very little because I am in bed just recuperating
from a very bad wound).

No easy answers that it is is for sure!

Lori
C 4/5 complete