Welcome Shellbell,
I look at it this way.  Equal Rights was passed in the early 60's and
everything is equal today... right.  Women's Equal Rights was passed in the
80's and today all women enjoy the benefits of equality... right.
ADA was passed into law in 1991 and went into effect in July of 1992, so
everything should be accessible.... right.  I don't think so.  But  between
you and I... its been better now then ever before.  Is there room  for
improvements?  Yes as accessibility continues to improve.
Newer Hotels and Motels have improved greatly and generally speaking most
people who handle reservations have never used an ADA room.  This
hospitality industry doesn't subscribe to ADA, but rather the ADAAG
construction
guidelines.  When someone mentions an ADA room, what does that mean to  someone
who is blind or non-verbal, deaf or a dwarf.  What does it mean to  someone
in a outdoor type Permobil electric chair vs someone in a manual Quickie
chair.

Maybe you could have a friend or family member check out a few
accommodations before you arrive and measure the rooms before you confirm and
then
report back to you.  Sometimes, trying to be totally independent means  that
you need to do your homework as well.

As we travel, we always receive faxed confirmations from the manager
acknowledging that our rooms meet the minimum requirement of ADAAG.  When  we
arrive and they don't we offer them an option.  Give us the Presidential  Suite
for the same price or pay for our hospital stay.... either way.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving and remember the reason.
Best Wishes

In a message dated 11/16/2010 1:18:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,