Hi Glenn-
I am a c5-c6 nearly 23 yrs. Post.
In ’09 after having a cold and being on Mucinex I had a mucus plug in my left
bronchial tubes that allowed my lung to collapse, talk about short of breath.
They had to do a bronchoscopy and suck out the mucus; luckily my lung filled
right back up by itself. What was bad is that I was in atrial fibrillation
because my lung was pressing on my heart and I was having autonomic
hyperreflexia. After my echo the cardiologist thought I had an enlarged heart
condition, the echo following showed my heart just appeared that way because of
the collapsed lung. I was released from the hospital the next day. My
cardiologist also is an instructor and he took my echo to a class he was
teaching at Mayo to show the class how a quadriplegic’s heart can appear with a
collapsed lung and having autonomic hyperreflexia.

The last couple of years I have gone without having any lung/upper respiratory
problems until a month or so ago. I started getting a bug that went to my
bronchial tubes/lungs and my doctor approached this different, NO MUCINEX and
put me on Prednisone, ProAir inhaler and Z-Pak. Without having the ability to
cough real well this combination seemed to have worked, I know the Mucinex
flooded me.
I still seem to have and have had secretions due to allergies; I take Sudugest
and Loratadine for that.
Best wishes!
Tim