one word: incomplete?

  _____

From: Nancy P [mailto:nancy...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:49 PM
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: [QUAD-L] Research breakthrough just announced in The Lancet

Hi all --

I wanted you to be the first I shared this news with -- instead of trying to
paraphrase, let me just give you a few paragraphs of detail.

Rob Summers, a 25-year-old Portland, Oregon man, who was paralyzed below his
chest with a C7/T1 injury as a result of a car accident in 2006, is standing
and stepping with assistance, and voluntarily moving his legs for the first
tim e since his injury.

In this study, continual direct epidural electrical stimulation to the
subject's lower spinal cord mimicks the signals his brain would normally
send to initiate movement.  This coupled with intense locomotor training is
responsible for the subject's unprecedented functional recovery.

The subject is able to stand supplying the muscular push himself and can
remain standing, bearing his full weight, for up to four minutes at a time
and up to an hour with periodic assistance.  In addition to some functional
recovery, relief from some of the secondary complications of complete spinal
cord injury (for example, loss of bladder and sexual function) could be even
more significant.

Aided by a harness and some therapist assistance, he can make repeated
stepping motions on a treadmill.  He can also voluntarily move his toes,
ankles, knees and hips on command.

Read more about the study here - http://bit.ly/iSfKnH

Best wishes to you all
Nancy

Nancy Purcell
for the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation
www.christopherreeve.org