I have to agree about the fraud situation, not that it is always overt, but
lines can get blurred. When I first got on disability, I didn't qualify for any
subsidies because my husband worked and made more than was allowable for two
people. Incredibly funny since my medical costs ate up our money and prevented
us from having a savings. We had to pay out of pocket for PCAs. I wanted
someone to come in and help clean the house and have someone there when I got
in and out of the tub.

The company that we used recommened three times a week for an hour each. I was
able to get into the tub okay, but after the tub was wet, I felt insecure
trying to get out by myself so I wanted help with that if I was having a good
day that would allow for a bath. I also planned to ask for help getting dressed
if I was too stiff to do it myself. This lasted about two weeks.

The women were nice enough, but not the best workers or helpers. We have a 850
square foot bungalow with two bedrooms, a bathroom, a living/dining room, and a
kitchen. Before my SCI, I was able to vacuum (all rooms), dust (bedrooms and
living room), and clean the kitchen in about an hour.

It took the PCAs an hour to vacuum the house and they were only doing the
kitchen, living room, and bathroom. They didn't have time to dust. Only one PCA
checked on me to see if I was ready to get out of the tub. When I had a
different PCA, I waited for over 20 minutes in the tub one day before I braved
it. I walked out of the bathroom to see the PCA sitting on the couch watching
television.

That ended it for that company. We couldn't afford a maid service and they were
one of the few agencies in our area that could work with me since I wasn't on
medicaid and because I had a family member living with me. I cannot remember
what the hourly rate was, but I know it was reasonable. Unfortunately, I was
paying to get my floors vacuumed and nothing else. Also, I wasn't getting any
personal help. Some of it was just poorly trained PCAs, but that one sitting on
the couch watching television was out and out fraud.

That is when my husband changed jobs so he could be home more to help me. I
would like to use that company again for house cleaning, but I think that we
will request four people for that one hour every couple of weeks or maybe just
once a month. Then we'll have them do more than just vacuum and at least the
house will get a cleaning. I might have been more tollerant about the house
cleaning if we weren't paying out of pocket, but the tub situation was scary.

We pay our nieces and nephew to come over and help clean every now and then. So
far, it works good and we get to spend time with the kids, but I don't feel
right having them do the heavy cleaning type of stuff, just because they are
kids.

Candle
"Scars remind of us where we’ve been, they don’t have to dictate where we are
going."
~David Rossi of Criminal Minds