From: bob quinn [mailto:kult...@yahoo.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:38 PM
To: Billy Lang; wheelch...@aol.com
Cc: da...@immortaldesigns.co; quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Work question....

<Apologies upfront that this is so long-winded, but I hope it helps you to
easily learn some things I learned the hard way>

With your tech/programming/net-security background, I'd recommend that you
learn "back-end" (server-side) web development.  Most computer, tablet and
mobile based web-browser apps are all dynamically generated by server-side
code, frameworks and databases, which customize page generation according to
the browser/user request, and the platform to display it on.  Most of the
frameworks have network security features built-in, these days too, and hosting
sites do the systems security, and allow you to do some configuration when
necessary, too (e.g., they provide https, ftps, and site or folder-level
.htaccess support.

For any web development --including either front-end/static or backend/dynamic
pages-- it helps to be familiar with both HTML and CSS.  That should be your
starting point for getting into any kind of web design or development.  And
force yourself to write/type the code from scratch, rather than using code
generated by tools like Adobe's Dreamweaver.  By typing the code, you WILL
learn it better and faster (and write MUCH cleaner, more-readable code than any
generator can).  Javascript is used often too, but you can get away without
learning a lot if you learn to use the many (free and open) .js libraries

The Java language is used in many large enterprises, so there are usually many
jobs available for this.  I learned it first as I started teaching
web-development to myself (for a project I wanted to do), but I found it very
restrictive, and tedious.  To do even simple things, you need to jump through
hoops.  More importantly for me, it has very high overhead on the server, the
hosting services are more expensive, and Java applets loaded WAY too slowly in
the browsers.  I didn't like it at all.

Next, I learned PHP.  It was liberating, since it was so easy to do so many
things (and its syntax was based on the C language, in which I was fluent).
Most PHP applications use SQL (MySQL or Postgre) to access and update
databases.  There were also well-established application frameworks (also known
as "Content Management Systems", or CMS), like Wordpress, that also have
plug-in "widgets" available (which are like mini-applications, like a calendar,
advertising windows, calculator, or whatever).  With Wordpress, it is possible
to do a whole lot, without knowing a lot of PHP.  PHP and WordPress (and MySQL,
the database) are all free and available from most web-hosting sites, and VERY
popular among web-designers that have little programming experience.

I did a number of PHP-based projects for myself, websites for friends (for
free), and even some contract work for a development house a friend runs.  I
liked it, though I ran into issues where the PHP code was embedded in pages.
It made them difficult to make changes/updates, especially in large websites.

Last year I went to a (free) Python meetup tutorial nearby, and someone said to
me, "When PHP programmers grow up, they become Python programmers."  I cornered
the guy and asked why, and he pointed out how most large PHP-based projects are
difficult to maintain when updates are needed ...mainly because PHP is
hard-coded within pages.  I did a few stand-alone (non-web) applications and
some network (ftp) applications with Python, and I was amazed how quick and
easy it is to do almost anything.  The syntax was different, but easy to learn,
and had almost all the constructs (like if...else, for loops, etc.) as PHP.

To generate web-pages, I chose to learn how to use the Django framework and
templating system.  I might have simply used a template system, like Jinja, by
itself to generate pages, butI chose Django to use all its plugins (widgets),
especially for the secure logins and database modeling it provides.  BEST of
all, it supports a separation of code from the pages, and page
styling/presentation.  In common computer science parlance, it supports a MVC
(Model-View-Controller) project architecture "pattern."

There are many tutorials for learning Django, and they all say how easily and
quickly it is to develop robust and responsive web applications with it.
Personally, it took a little time, and a few tutorials, for me to wrap my brain
around the process and its mechanics.  Now that I have, I appreciate what's
involved and the advantages it provides for building large applications with
complex databases (it has its own, relatively simple database query syntax,
which generates appropriate SQL commands, depending which SQL engine you are
using (PostgreSQL is recommended over MySQL or SQLlite).

So, bottom line, I'd recommend learning Python (maybe with Jinja, to generate
pages), then SQL, and eventually Django.  Best way to learn is in a course:
There are LOTS of free courses available online from the likes of MIT, Harvard,
and Stanford (see http://www.openculture.com/freeonlinecourses, for example).
Most intro to computing courses these days use Python, and some do SQL too,
though you'll need a more comprehensive database course to *really* learn it
(you don't always need to know it all, but there are times you'll realize you
need to know more than you do ...I keep learning).   I haven't come across any
free Django classes, but there are tutorials and books (for latest stable
version, 1.5).

As for actually writing/typing code in a text editor, it sounds like you could
use the hunt-and-peck, one finger typing method I use (I am a C5/C6 incomplete
quad, with arm control, but no triceps or hand function).  I'm a fraction as
fast as my touch-typing days, before my accident, but I'm still faster than
most of my non-techy friends!  :)  I do use Dragon Dictate when I'm writing
lots of text, but never tried it to write code.  Should work fine with
practice, I'm sure.  I mostly hate using a wired headset, and have had trouble
getting a wireless (bluetooth) headset to work reliably/consistently.

Anyway, I hope that helps answer your question.  One thing I didn't mention
about doing web application development is that there are lots of jobs out
there --contract, part-time, or full-time-- and many allow you to work mostly
or entirely from home.  There are more that use PHP, than Python, but that is
slowly changing.  It is nice to meet face-to-face, once in a while too, though
using Skype or Facetime helps a lot.  I admit, I do still miss the office
environs and camaraderie, sometimes.  For face-to-face socializing, I attend
lots of meetup.com tech group meetings that (lucky for me) are held not too far
away.

Good Luck,

bob

  _____