From: RONALD L PRACHT [mailto:r.pra...@sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 7:38 PM
To: quad-list@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Survival Manual Suggestions

The first thing any therapist or doctor has to address with a newly injured
person is the........but Im going to walk........syndrome. People naturally
are scared to do anything that may be inferring that they are accepting the
fact they may not walk again. The best way to deal with that is to go around
the issue. The main things people need to do right out of the gate are

Figure out if current living arrangement can accomadate a wheelchair, if so
start findind resources to build a ramp

Apply for social security

Widen doors at current house, bedroom and bathroom are a
must..........possibly drop hinges.

If possible start looking into installing a roll in shower.( I had five
years of hell without one)

Get all need handicap equipment ordered b4 leaving hospital

Learn about dysreflexia and how to prevent urinary tract infections,
pressure sores.

Make sure family is trained on help with catherizations, bowell routines,
transfers

Learn as much as you possibly can b4 you leave the hospital

Once the person is out of rehab there will be a shock period to learn how to
live in the real world in a chair. The hospital setting is set up for a
paralyed individual, its scary at first going home which is normal.

Start investigating going to school and getting a van to drive or ride in

Ron