Like Dave I also use the xfinity tv web site to change channels, watch
on-demand shows.

I also have a slingbox 500 <http://www.slingbox.com/> connected to the dvr.
This lets me control all dvr functions from my computer. When turn the dvr
off, it turns of the input to the tv so it is essentially "off". The power
to the tv is still on. The dvr might have a switched ac plug that the tv
can plug into. This also enables me to watch tv on my computer.