The 15th marked 24 years with SCI. It just so happened that we were out and
about that day and we are having a beautiful Indian summer with highs in the
sixties and no severe freeze so far.

We finished shopping at Sam's Club and I decided to just roll over to the
next place we were going which was only seven or eight blocks away. My
wheelchair has been behaving itself quite well so I felt confident I could
beat the others to the next store. I took off at a good clip (for an omega
track) and realized when I got there that the store had moved another eight
or 10 blocks away a couple of months ago. No problem, except that the
wheelchair decided to quit right as I was crossing the street. I was able to
flag down a pedestrian who restarted my chair. A little more cautiously I
kept on going, stopped again, a couple of people came over to ask if I
needed help-of course I did. Now I am being very cautious as I am realizing
it is quitting when I try to go faster. I've already given up on the
challenge of beating everyone else to the next store, just want to get there
without breaking down in the middle of the street again. I finally reach the
parking lot of the next shopping mall, which is quite empty, and get out to
the middle of the lot. Stopped again, this time there are no pedestrians, so
I resign myself to waiting until somebody misses me and comes to find me,
because they are in Walmart and the cell phones don't work to reach them.
Suddenly a car veers over and a young man gets out. As he is walking over
three more cars come over and everyone gets out. I guess I was noticed,
because they all want to know if I'm OK and do I need help. The young man
gets to me first, starts my chair off, and I thank everyone, and leave for
the store. Then I noticed that the young man's car is following me. He
escorts me to Wal-Mart, and then smiles and says have a great day and drives
off.

Moral of the story, move out west to find plenty of good Samaritans. Have a
great day everyone, I sure did. Joan