---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Anderson, Kimberly D <kanders...@med.miami.edu>
Date: Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 6:18 AM
Subject: Miami Project 5th Open House + Research Update and FAQs
To: "Anderson, Kimberly D" <kanders...@med.miami.edu>

*Miami Project 5th Annual Community Open House* *April 11, 2015 –
12-5pm  * Lois
Pope LIFE Center, University of Miami 1095 NW 14th Terrace, Miami, FL 33136

*Topics:*

*Current Clinical Trials for SCI*

*Hurdles in Translation from Lab to Clinic*

*Behind-the-Scenes Tours*

****RSVP required: *305-243-7108 or mpi...@med.miami.edu

*NEW SCHWANN CELL CLINICAL TRIAL FOR CHRONIC SCI IS OPEN*

At long last, we have begun our first clinical trial testing autologous
human Schwann cell (ahSC) transplantation in people living with chronic
spinal cord injury (SCI).  This is also a Phase I trial focused on safety
and feasibility outcomes.  As we announced in October 2014, we obtained FDA
approval after having submitted for review additional data regarding
transplantation of Schwann cells into rodents and some pigs with chronic
SCI.  We now have ethics approval from the University of Miami
Institutional Review Board and are open for enrollment.

This new trial will be primarily focused on safety, but in addition it will
involve a preliminary evaluation of the efficacy of combining Schwann cells
with exercise and rehabilitation.  For humans with chronic SCI, we
hypothesize that axons might show improved function if myelin repair is
induced with the implantation of ahSC.  In addition, spinal cord cavitation
may be reduced and neural sprouting and plasticity may be enhanced via
neurotrophic effects.  In this trial, participants will receive fitness
conditioning and locomotor rehabilitation prior to transplantation in order
to validate the stability of their neurological baseline and enhance their
ability to undergo surgery with few complications.  They will also receive
fitness conditioning and rehabilitation post-transplantation to maintain
health and promote neuronal activity and potential neuroplasticity.

We only have FDA approval to transplant a maximum of 10 people – remember
that it is a Phase I safety trial.  In order to reduce risk, there are a
number of inclusion and exclusion criteria.  You may qualify if you have
had a traumatic SCI at least 1 year ago between the spinal levels of
C5-T12, if you are between the ages of 18 and 65, and you have no major
health issues.

There are 5 stages of Screening to progress through before the actual
Schwann cell transplantation occurs and each participant’s time commitment
to the trial will be approximately 10 months.  They will be followed in a
separate long-term monitoring protocol annually for a total of 5 years
post-transplantation.

To find out more information about the trial and pre-screening, contact The
Miami Project Education Department at 305-243-7108 or mpi...@med.miami.edu
<mpi...@med.miami.edu?subject=New%20Schwann%20Cell%20Clinical%20Trial%20for%20Chronic%20SCI%20is%20Open>.
More information about all of our clinical trials and studies is available
at http://www.themiamiproject.org/trials
<http://www.themiamiproject.org/page.redir?target=http%3a%2f%2fwww.themiamiproject.org%2ftrials&srcid=6670&srctid=1&erid=3890403&trid=231bea1c-672a-4d61-83e3-9f6952f7b8b2>.

*FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS IN THE LAST MONTH*

1. When will the cervical portion of the Schwann cell trial begin? Why are
they starting with Thoracic level injuries?

-The Cervical level injuries will begin after the thoracic level injures
cohort is completed. That will be completed when we successfully enroll 4
Thoracic level injury participants with ASIA levels A, B, and or C. The
reason we are beginning with Thoracic level injuries is because it is a
safety precaution dictated by the FDA.

2.    When should we hear back to see if we will proceed on to the next
step?

- Katie Nagel will be contacting everyone that has done a phone screen with
us in a timely manner. Please keep in mind that she has many people to
contact, but I assure you that she will get to you as soon as possible.

3. When will the information/findings on the acute trial be made available
to us?

- We are still actively recruiting for the acute trial. When that study is
completed, it takes about a year or so to analyze the data and construct a
publication. So you should anticipate  a publication on our findings in a
scientific journal in the next couple years. If any developments occur
before then, we will be sure to keep you updated.

*SURVEY ABOUT PAIN AFTER SPINAL CORD INJURY – STILL OPEN*

Researchers at the Miami Project are conducting a web-based survey regarding
day-to-day experiences of people living with spinal cord injury (SCI) and
chronic pain. In most cases pain remains a major problem, despite our
best treatments.
The purpose of this study is to learn from the perspectives of people who
are living with this pain.  The information regarding the personal
experiences of living with SCI and chronic pain is needed to improve the
understanding and management of this difficult condition, and will benefit
the general SCI community including Veterans, their families, and caregivers.
*Everyone** with persistent pain after a spinal cord injury has a unique
experience. We would like to hear about yours!*

Access the survey here: www.surveymonkey.com/s/SCIpain

*HUMAN STUDIES FOR CHRONIC SCI BEING CONDUCTED AT THE MIAMI PROJECT*

The Miami Project clinical researchers currently have 17 research studies
available for people who have had a spinal cord injury.  They are
investigating questions regarding exercise science, rehabilitation
training, pain, male fertility, aging, and neuroprosthetics. To learn more
about these studies and how to participate, please visit
http://www.themiamiproject.org/trials .

*CURRENT SCI CLINICAL TRIALS*

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=%22spinal+cord+injury%22&recr=Open&no_unk=Y

Best wishes!

Kim

Kim Anderson-Erisman, Ph.D.

Associate Professor, Department of Neurological Surgery

Director of Education, The Miami Project to Cure Paralysis

Lois Pope Life Center

1095 NW 14th Terrace, Room  1-31, Mail Locator R-48

University of Miami

Miami, FL 33136

Office:  305-243-7108

Fax:  305-243-3913