Miami  Project 5th Annual Community Open  House
April  11, 2015 – 12-5pm
Lois  Pope LIFE Center, University of Miami
1095  NW 14th Terrace, Miami, FL 33136
Topics:
Current Clinical Trials for  SCI
Hurdles in Translation from Lab to  Clinic
Behind-the-Scenes  Tours
***RSVP  required: _305-243-7108_ (tel:305-243-7108)  or
_mpinfo@med.miami.edu_ (mailto:mpi...@med.miami.edu)
NEW  SCHWANN CELL CLINICAL TRIAL FOR CHRONIC SCI IS OPEN
At long  last, we have begun our first clinical trial testing autologous
human Schwann  cell (ahSC) transplantation in people living with chronic
spinal cord injury  (SCI).  This is also a Phase I trial focused on safety and
feasibility  outcomes.  As we announced in October 2014, we obtained FDA
approval  after having submitted for review additional data regarding
transplantation of  Schwann cells into rodents and some pigs with chronic SCI.
We now
have  ethics approval from the University of Miami Institutional Review
Board and  are open for enrollment.

This new trial will be primarily  focused on safety, but in addition it
will involve a preliminary evaluation of  the efficacy of combining Schwann
cells with exercise and  rehabilitation.  For humans with chronic SCI, we
hypothesize that axons  might show improved function if myelin repair is
induced
with the implantation  of ahSC.  In addition, spinal cord cavitation may be
reduced and neural  sprouting and plasticity may be enhanced via
neurotrophic effects.  In  this trial, participants will receive fitness
conditioning
and locomotor  rehabilitation prior to transplantation in order to validate
the stability of  their neurological baseline and enhance their ability to
undergo surgery with  few complications.  They will also receive fitness
conditioning and  rehabilitation post-transplantation to maintain health and
promote neuronal  activity and potential neuroplasticity.

We only have FDA approval to  transplant a maximum of 10 people – remember
that it is a Phase I safety  trial.  In order to reduce risk, there are a
number of inclusion and  exclusion criteria.  You may qualify if you have had
a traumatic SCI at  least 1 year ago between the spinal levels of C5-T12, if
you are between the  ages of 18 and 65, and you have no major health
issues.

There are 5 stages of Screening to  progress through before the actual
Schwann cell transplantation occurs and  each participant’s time commitment to
the trial will be approximately 10  months.  They will be followed in a
separate long-term monitoring  protocol annually for a total of 5 years
post-transplantation.

To find out more information about  the trial and pre-screening, contact
The Miami Project Education Department at  _305-243-7108_ (tel:305-243-7108)
or _MPinfo@med.miami.edu_
(mailto:mpi...@med.miami.edu?subject=New%20Schwann%20Cell%20Clinical%20Trial%20for%20Chronic%20SCI%20is%20Open)
 .  More
information about all  of our clinical trials and studies is available at
_http://www.themiamiproject.org/trials_
(http://www.themiamiproject.org/page.redir?target=http://www.themiamiproject.org/trials&srcid=6670&srctid=1&erid=3890403&;
trid=231bea1c-672a-4d61-83e3-9f6952f7b8b2) .
FREQUENTLY  ASKED QUESTIONS IN THE LAST MONTH
1. When  will the cervical portion of the Schwann cell trial begin? Why are
they  starting with Thoracic level injuries?
-The Cervical level injuries will  begin after the thoracic level injures
cohort is completed. That will be  completed when we successfully enroll 4
Thoracic level injury participants  with ASIA levels A, B, and or C. The
reason we are beginning with Thoracic  level injuries is because it is a safety
precaution dictated by the FDA.
2.  When should we hear back to see if we will proceed on to the  next
step?
- Katie Nagel will be contacting  everyone that has done a phone screen
with us in a timely manner. Please keep  in mind that she has many people to
contact, but I assure you that she will  get to you as soon as possible.
3. When  will the information/findings on the acute trial be made available
to  us?
- We are still actively recruiting  for the acute trial. When that study is
completed, it takes about a year or so  to analyze the data and construct a
publication. So you should anticipate  a publication on our findings in a
scientific journal in the next couple  years. If any developments occur
before then, we will be sure to keep you  updated.
SURVEY  ABOUT PAIN AFTER SPINAL CORD INJURY – STILL OPEN
Researchers  at the Miami Project are  conducting  a web-based survey
regarding day-to-day experiences of people living with spinal cord injury (SCI)
and chronic pain. In most cases pain remains a  major problem, despite our
best treatments. The purpose of  this study is to  learn from the perspectives
of  people who are living with this pain.  The information regarding the
personal experiences of living with SCI and chronic pain is  needed to improve
the understanding and management of this difficult condition, and will
benefit the general SCI community including Veterans, their families, and
caregivers.   Everyone with persistent pain after a  spinal cord injury has a
unique experience. We would like to  hear about yours!
Access  the survey here: _www.surveymonkey.com/s/SCIpain_
(http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SCIpain)
HUMAN  STUDIES FOR CHRONIC SCI BEING CONDUCTED AT THE MIAMI  PROJECT
The Miami  Project clinical researchers currently have 17 research studies
available for people who have  had a spinal cord injury.  They are
investigating questions regarding  exercise science, rehabilitation training,
pain,
male fertility, aging, and  neuroprosthetics. To learn more about these
studies and how to participate,  please visit
http://www.themiamiproject.org/trials .
CURRENT  SCI CLINICAL TRIALS
_http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=%22spinal+cord+injury%22&recr=Op
en&no_unk=Y_
(http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term="spinal+cord+injury"&recr=Open&no_unk=Y)

Best wishes!
Kim
Kim Anderson-Erisman,  Ph.D.
Associate Professor,  Department of Neurological Surgery
Director of Education, The  Miami Project to Cure Paralysis
Lois Pope Life  Center
1095 NW 14th Terrace,  Room  1-31, Mail Locator R-48
University of  Miami
Miami, FL  33136
Office:  _305-243-7108_ (tel:305-243-7108)
Fax:  _305-243-3913_ (tel:305-243-3913)
_KAnderson3@med.miami.edu_ (mailto:kanders...@med.miami.edu)
_www.themiamiproject.org_ (http://www.miamiproject.miami.edu/)