This might sound strange, but this happens to me for two different reasons.
One is because I'm having an allergic reaction to, but more often it
happens because I am having slight dysreflexia.  Try checking your blood
pressure when this occurs to determine if your blood pressure might be
elevated. I have found in my face and head itch that more often than not it
is my blood pressure