I also live in Arizona (Tucson and just short of 2 hour drive from Greg who
lives near Phoenix).

I am always cold so, for example on a day like today which was 77° and
sunny, I wore a light weight longsleeved top and went for my daily walk
with my Golden Retriever starting at about 2 PM and it was a beautiful day!

I went around our apartment complex (currently apartment living since
January) which is quite large and then I left our complex and they ventured
out to what it called the "pedestrian and biker" trails which is an
extremely smooth 2 sided path that goes on and on and on for miles and
miles and miles. But I only go so far because eventually there is a large
stone wall and my dog feels cornered between me and the very high wall and
refuses to go next to it. So I turn around and venture out to other areas.

Today I went across the street to where there are 2 Plazas which are
actually connected by one going on one one street and the other on another
street making it  an 'L' shape. There is a large space which goes behind
the bigger strip mall and is very quiet and then went around to the front
of the strip mall to head back home (I had lots do before 5 PM rolled
around for dinner). Glad I did it because I came across several businesses
that I had not previously been directly in front of before.

It included everything froman animal hospital to an Ace Hardware store to a
facial and massage business to a place for women (or men) to get their
nails professionally done to a family restaurant that I had not seen before
and looked good so I went in there (I take my dog everywhere as this is the
most dog friendly city I have ever been in). It is a nice American
restaurant and I got a take-out menu just in case it is difficult for me to
get there with all I have going on.

I then passed the stores I *have *gone into (a Goodwill store, a large
grocery store, the place I get my hair done (Cost Cutters) a Domino's pizza
place, a Mexican restaurant and a couple other businesses before I go back
to the 4 Lane Rd it cost to get to the Plaza and then back (it is a mostly
quiet Street but I surely make sure no cars are coming when I cross the
street and usually have to stop in the median to look for traffic going
both ways) and then goes through the area that is also a plaza before
getting to our complex road.

The plaza we are right next to contain a Chinese restaurant, a doctor's
office (which I can't go to because over 99% of physicians here do not
accept patients on any pain medication which I am), a bank and some other
businesses I can't remember right at this very moment.

In other words, I can get to anything I need except for my physician, my
veterinarian & a Super Wal-Mart. By vehicle, it takes us less then 10
minutes to get to our closest Super Wal-Mart but it would take me much
longer in my wheelchair if I wanted to because the pedestrian/biker path
will eventually get me there (because they are all over the city next to
main roads) but I would have to cross another busy street and go down the
road that leads to the Super Wal-Mart which is in yet another strip mall
called the "Oro Valley Marketplace which has a very nice shoe store (DSW
shoes), Best Buy, Big Lots, a cell phone store, Century theater (to go to
for current movies of course), Ross, Dick's Sporting Goods, a nail
boutique, GNC, Olive Garden, Petco, Chase Bank (which we have another Chase
Bank right in our backyard essentially), an Urgent Care place, a sushi
restaurant, Red Lobster, State Farm, a boxing place, an Ulta store (for all
kinds of makeup, hair brushes, etc.) and a few other places.

Basically we have everything we need that I can get to by my wheelchair or
less than 10 minutes away. Including 2 great parks that include wheelchair
accessible bathrooms and with one park that has a HUGE paved trail running
around it to walk, 2 ballparks, tennis courts, a huge yard, etc. while
another smaller park is just as nice to go to that includes a fenced in
doggie park, tennis courts, a small basketball court, covered pavilions
with steel or metal picnic benches, a small playground with things for the
kids to climb on and sand below in case they fall, a fairly large yard
right next to the desert that bunnies love to frequent go to and then stay
right next to the desert area for safety from prey and right next to the
doggie park and yard is offers two places to enter a dirt trail for hiking
or walking. It is too steep for my wheelchair and I prefer not to go on
dirt anyway.

I used to go to this smaller park from my wheelchair since it is only less
than a mile away from the one rental home my husband and I lived in before
his passing. I missed out on me and the 2200 ft.² home we moved into 2 1/2
years before his death. I had nowhere to go then and was in panic because
of the situation & that is when my sister and brother-in-law flew over
right away (from PA) to come into my rescue and, at that time, the best
thing to do was move in with them so we had a huge estate sale and selling
all my husband and I had (and purchased more after moving there planning
for his retirement).

I lived with them 3 years before my sister began to have some mild medical
problems (just like me hiring in home every morning & every evening 7 days
a week plus having a great home health agency) and my brother-in-law
wanting "to his house back" (without me in it and having the caregivers
every morning and evening coming in around 90 minutes).

My one caregiver that I hired in PA even said that they were abandoning me
(which they were but would never use that word) so I had to either go into
a nursing home which was just fine with my 2 sisters, 2 nieces living
nearby and would help "share the care" in case my sister and brother-in-law
were gone during the day and I had them to call if need be. And one time
when my sister and brother-in-law and their daughter her husband and their
14-year-old son (my sister and brother-in-law's only grandson/grandchild)
and with my caregivers there morning and night my other sister came to stay
with me that week to stay overnight, preparing meals and the rest of the
day just enjoying each other's company by watching movies or whatnot.

I would have stayed in the same small-town if there was one apartment or
house to rent but I looked and looked and looked and there was not. It is a
very old, small, isolated town 45 minutes to an hour to the nearest cities
and near a river where buying my sister and brother-in-law, in 2011, had to
evacuate their house and move in with their daughter and son-in-law for a
full 3 months. During that time they had to have their whole house
remodeled because the river climbed up a large steep hill (which was their
backyard for the most part) and the water came up to 18 inches into their
house. They had to replace the carpets, lower cabinets, both bathrooms and
so much more. IF I WAS LIVING WITH THEM AT THAT TIME I would have had
nowhere to go with my hospital bed, rotating air mattress, large desktop
computer & tablet (that makes up my route to the outside world for the most
part) and my US Certified Support/Companion dog who has separation anxiety
now that my husband (her daddy) is gone.

Families! I was NOT going to go into a nursing home being an active member
of the community for 36 years. My sister and brother-in-law said that I
could not put an ad on craigslist but that is exactly what I did and that
is how I found my live-in caregiver who is with me now except for every two
months when she gets away to see her boyfriend in California.

After both of my sisters coming out with me to help me settle in and were
here 2 weeks all hell broke loose as far as my health and having the first
home health agency nurse I had to change my catheter doing something very
bad that has made my life hell since then. To this very day. I will
probably have to have surgery because of it and for the surgery that I will
need... my urologist I have had since 2006 (except for the 3 years in PA)
doesn't do that type of surgery. So she suggested another urologist who
does those type of surgeries and I was going to go to him (at the
university) until I found out that there is another urologist in town who
is familiar with spinal cord injuries and I feel that is in my best
interest at this time -- to go to her to explain everything that has
happened and see if I will need a "bladder neck closure" and going to a
Suprapubic catheter.

I have NEVER had any problems with my Foley catheter until this happened.
If you are wondering if I looked into being compensated for forcing me into
surgery ... yes I have. Since what she did is, by the Arizona Disability
Law Center or Association falls under "negligence."

My appointment with my new urologist is, unfortunately, November 29 and
that can't come soon enough. I can't go on like this.

To add insult to injury no one would believe what was found the week that
my live-in caregiver was gone and my "fill in" caregiver was here and that
I had never had before and after knowing so many people of our my 52 years
and none of them having the problem. Bedbugs! My live-in caregiver loves
stuffed animals and she was getting a lot of them (around 20 or so or even
more possibly) from the Goodwill store across the street. Who would have
thought that they had bedbugs on them and then when they were clustered
together it was even worse because I have learned more about bedbugs
between October 28 and the 7 days that followed that I ever wanted to know.
My live-in caregiver had been getting bites on her forearm for numerous
weeks or longer (which turned to welts from her scratching them) but she
just thought they were some other type of bug.

She was getting bitten because the recliner she sleeps in what is right
next to the twin bed with all of her many stuffed animals on it cluttered
together. They had been jumping and "into" her recliner that she did not
see them because they were buried deep down into the thickly cushioned
chair unable to be seen. THEY LOVE THE DARK and I read that those people
who have gotten bitten get bitten between midnight and 6 AM.

They also like "clutter" because they love to hide in the nooks and
crannies where it is dark. Her room was cluttered but not in a bad way. She
had everything "around" her room put very nicely and very eye-catching.
>From her large chest of drawers to all the cute stuffed animals on her twin
bed and everything in her room was pink in color because she loves the
color pink. Of course not EVERYTHING was pink but things like those plastic
crates that you can get at stores around school time for kids having dorms
in college or even high school to organize their rooms with that she had in
her room were pink and a lava lamp, etc. NO, bed bugs don't care about
color! LOL.

We called an exterminator on October 29 or so after my fill-in caregiver
got bitten and then found some in my live-in caregiver's bathroom which she
used when she was here. So... my live-in caregiver's bedroom was the
"infested" room in the house/apartment but the exterminator who was called
in to "assess" the situation said that they love to travel (looking for
food... like human blood) so they then had to schedule an extermination
which occurred on November 1 but, before that, we had to wash and dry ALL
clothing and blankets and towels and wash cloths in high heat and then put
them in black plastic garbage bags and placed somewhere out of the
apartment. Good thing we have a garage and an outside storage unit!

My caregiver and absolutely loves to sleep in her large recliner in her
bedroom but that was so infested that the exterminator said it had to go.
To be on the safe side, we had them take away her twin bed, the sheets on
it and all but three or four stuffed animals that were also washed and
dried on high heat because bedbugs cannot live in very very hot
temperatures. That is why, when they came to exterminate, they have to use
equipment to get the apartment at 130° as well as spray. Then we had to
wait for them to come back to reassess the place with a service dog
specially trained to sniff out any one bedbug in drawers or in boxes of any
size, etc.

Female bedbugs can lay 50 eggs in a day or a week (can't remember which).
When the first assessor came he found only 2 eggs in our couch. ONE THING
TO KNOW... bedbugs are not discriminatory. They can live in a very clean
apartment or house so they could care less on the cleanliness of it and we
do not have a dirty place.

OTHER THINGS TO KNOW AND WHY I AM TELLING YOU ALL OF THIS:

* They can be gotten anywhere. My sister told me that there were several
Wal-Marts across the nation that had to close down because people brought
them in on their clothing and jumped onto towels & washcloths or those
floor carpets you can find at Wal-Mart and they then can just spread.

* The exterminator assessor explained to me that they love to be on
people's outfits/clothing like his. So people like maintenance men who go
from house to house and whatever dwelling to another dwelling can carry
them.

* Currently, the "hot spots" for bedbugs are in theaters and on airlines
because of their hourly or daily rotation of people coming in and out and
leaving them in the seats.

~Lori

--
"Petting, scratching and cuddling a dog could be soothing to the mind and
heart and deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." ~Dean