let it be researched. perhaps it will save someone's great great grandchild!

-----Original Message-----
From: Lori Michaelson <lorilivin...@gmail.com>
To: quad-list <quad-list@eskimo.com>
Sent: Tue, Nov 29, 2016 1:21 pm
Subject: Is this real? Thoughts? and Re: [QUAD-L] Pressure mapping

Please don't think of me as a bad person simply because I have paid attention
and observed so many things about spinal cord injury research and breakthroughs
and always have to question whether it is real or not. I think it is a little
bit of both.

When Paul and Carolyn just posted about amazing breakthroughs... I'm sure there
has been many of them  but with a catch. Just like the liberal media hide
things from us because they are always on the liberal side and always have been.

Anyway, back when Glenn Henry made a post about pressure mapping I wrote the
following (below) but then decided not to send it simply because I felt that
everyone would think that I am just looking at things negatively and that, no
matter what, we all have to hope for hope in the future and not give up the
quest for the generation of cells for any of this to regain more movement.

Christopher Reeve could have done so much more but he was so gung ho and
adamant that he was going to walk 5 years after his injury that he was getting
desperate. After he was unable to walk after the first 5 years went by ... do
any of you remember what I wrote many many years ago regarding what he probably
did out of desperation?

We were all "told" that he passed away from a bed sore or a UTI or a
combination of things when the hospital. If he was so bad off... what was his
wife doing in California having a good time I had to ask myself. But even more
importantly he looked like Christopher Reeve practically one day and the next
time we saw him he looked like a 90-year-old man. That speaks volumes to me
that he was letting the so-called "experts" experiment on him and it cost him
losing his hair and probably his life with that research that surely did not
get him to walk but into a grave. So many of us on the quad list have been
injured 20, 30, 40 or more years and still do not look like 90-year-old men or
women. We all might look a little bit older like everyone else does but surely
not like what Christopher Reeve did practically overnight.

I also agree with Steve on this (pressure mapping). Ironically, I never had any
problems with "pressure" believe it or not.

"Shearing" became my nemesis after having my Stage III wound over my left
iscial tuberocity in 2010. Which brought me, for the first time, to use a Roho
cushion. So, it took 30 years for me to have any real issues with my buttocks
as, before that, I did not sit on anything but a bucket seat and a super
comfortable one using my Fortress Scientific wheelchair which, of course, they
do not make any more. It had a super comfortable air filled back and the same
part of the bucket seat I sat on which was all air for about 4 inches.

When I got my first Permobil (Chairman) I sat on a blowup waffle like cushion
which was certainly no "special" cushion. There was a one time event  in 2004
which gave me a Stage III wound that lasted only 6 months and then I was in tip
top shape. But both Permobil chairs (the one I have now what is September 2011)
came with metal bottoms (UNLIKE my Fortress Scientific) and that was the
beginning of having any type of wound issues.

Call me a cynic (Cynicism is an unpleasant way of saying the truth) but it
wouldn't surprise me if all of this "SCI research" for a cure or to repair
severed spinal cord or nerves, etc." is not doing much more than bringing in
trillions of dollars that benefit a lot of able-bodied people and corporations
and therefore making a lot of people very very very wealthy.

With the cost of Power Rehab Chairs now costing as much as a car, the ongoing
maintenance of each and every chair, the adaptations to them, "special made"
cushions and with hundreds of different types of them, and so many other
examples with only, overall, ending up with very very little progress toward a
cure.

Then all of the money corporations make from us whether it be from
suppositories, wound care products, rotating air mattresses or mattresses
specially made for those with an SCI, hospital beds, and the list is just
endless.

If you think of the extreme debt the United States of America is in, do the
math and statistics of money being made off of people with Cancer & the money
being made off of people with SCI individuals brings more money then we could
ever explain in words. This includes:

* Personnel - Neurologists and Neurosurgeons, pain medication for SCIs, wound
care for individuals with SCIs, etc. etc. etc.
* Supplies (everything from suppositories to tracheotomys and ventilators and
everything in between)
* Medications for spasticity, bladder spasms, etc. etc. etc.
* Institutions
* The Christopher Reeve foundation and The Miami Project doing all this
research and, overall this time, bringing in trillions of dollars to basically
put out what they want us to hear to continue to send them money. I know one
quad who has set up an entire SCI research small town community set up with a
large bus and everything. When he first began he began sending money to The
Christopher Reeve Foundation then when he wanted something as simple as a
shower chair or something along those lines they turned him down after all the
money he had given them over years!

The easiest people to fool are the masses and they count on us to be fooled
easily.

Basically, what I am trying to convey is that doctors and SCI researchers and
the media will do anything they can to keep the "hope of a cure" going and,
while they are doing so, they are collecting billions if not trillions of money
but we are not much better off than they were say approximately 25 years ago.

http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v40/n12/full/3101328a.html