I found this most interesting.  So I called Invacare and read back to  them
what you wrote.  I was assure that they were still in business and new
plants continue to open.

Have you considered calling your local CMS Office and asking for a written
copy of the procedure/guideline for someone in need of an electric
wheelchair,  with a doctor's order.

Your salesperson is trying to guide you to a product they stock, for their
benefit, not yours.  Call Invacare Customer Service and hear from the
Horse's Mouth................... rather than from the Horse's Ass.  (smiling)
Best Wishes

In a message dated 6/19/2017 11:48:41 A.M. Central Daylight Time,