From: Lori Michaelson [mailto:lorilivin...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 11:41 PM
To: quad-list
Subject: [QUAD-L] Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) in the urine

Hey everyone...

Has anyone else had Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) found in their urine and their
urologist being too complacent about not getting rid of it?

After a bladder biopsy done died on February 23 (outpatient procedure) and less
than a week later I began to have my usual bladder infection symptoms (SEVERE
bladder and flank pain) so I requested a culture and sensitivity be done and,
sure enough it was positive for, this time, the superbug. They only put me on a
week of Nitrofurantoin (Macrobid) 100 mg, twice a day. From what I have read
and what I know about Macrobid it does work on some gram-negative bacteria but
it is also more of a prophylactic antibiotic.

Unfortunately, after I requested a follow-up urine (and had symptoms) it had
not gone away. My urologist does not like to do follow-up urine cultures which
I think is ridiculous because one would think they would like to know if the
antibiotic worked.

For those of you who don't know... MRSA is mostly found in hospitals and
nursing homes and therefore a nosocomial infection (hospital acquired or clinic
acquired) but I can't make use my urologist of giving it to me when it is just
too coincidental that I get it less than a week after being in the hospital for
the outpatient procedure.

My urologist's staff is absolutely horrible at getting back to you and this has
been a problem from the beginning. I have brought it up several times and they
have admitted it and say they are trying to improve it but it only gets worse.
Yes, I would try looking for another urologist but this is the one who did my
bladder neck closure back in June of 2018 which I was forced into because of
the nurse stretching my urethra beyond repair and now having an SP catheter. If
something were to go wrong with the bladder neck closure... there are very few
of them in my town if there are any others (and I have looked) he would be this
surgeon to look into it.

He is known as one of the best in Arizona and I have been told that people come
from all over Arizona and a couple from New Mexico because he is such a good
surgeon. I am sure he is a good surgeon but as far as needing him for other
things or being sensitive to my needs as I know my body best after 38 years and
learning tons from my husband since he went to medical school and was a chief
medical technologist and dealt with all kinds of bacterium whether it be in the
urine or the blood.

Below is the best information I have found bread regarding Staphylococcus
Aureus (MRSA) and treating it. Since has staff was so poor at communication I
wanted me to go to my primary care physician if I had any symptoms and that's
what I did. I was doing pretty good until after being in the hospital and then
getting MRSA less than a week after being in the hospital. I sent him a message
in the patient portal because I had asked his office to order the culture and
sensitivity this time around hoping that their communication issues had been
resolved. I basically told him that I thought, since it had not gone away with
Nitrofurantoin that a more aggressive approach should take place. This is what
he wrote back:

"The appointment to see you is to further discuss your biopsy results and your
overall urologic management which is not going well in my opinion with
essentially constant infections. I'd like to discuss this in person and not on
the phone or email."

What I had sent him in part is this:

"However, from what I have been reading, I don't feel confident it will work
with that type of diagnosis. Cipro was listed in my Culture and Sensitivity
Report as well as Vancomycin and others. As MRSA is extremely resistant, I
would like to hear from you what would be the best approach, in your opinion.
The earlier the appropriate diagnosis and therapy is instituted for MRSA, the
better the prognosis.

I have read that… “the majority of serious MRSA infections are treated with two
or more intravenous antibiotics that, in combination, often are still effective
against MRSA (for example, vancomycin, linezolid, rifampin,
sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim, and others). I just want to be proactive and get
appropriate treatment. I am contacting you simply due to the lack of
communication from your staff.

I am doing OK right now and have a little over another week of Nitrofurantoin
(Macrobid) to take (100 mg twice a day), but my question is if this is the best
course of action, in your opinion?"

I am hoping someone on the list has had to deal with Staphylococcus Aureus
(MRSA) in their urine and what they have done. Thanks! You can write to me
privately if you wish.

~Lori

--

"Petting, scratching and cuddling a dog could be soothing to the mind and heart
and deep meditation and almost as good for the soul as prayer." ~Dean Koontz