Quad of 29 years, I've had my colostomy for 5 years now. Wish I'd done it
sooner.
Upsides:
No hour(s) long bowel program
Simple bag change in minutes anywhere, when needed
No issues getting stool in any skin abrasions on bottom (causes major
issues)
Greatly reduced chance "accidents" requiring a complete change of clothing
and shower
It's reversible if you really don't like the life of having a colostomy

Downsides:
"Farts' are louder because it's out of your belly rather than being
"muffled" under your rear
Needing to "vent" air from the bag (can be difficult depending on your
functional abilities)
Dealing with the "colostomy bulge" in between bag replacements ( I wear
loose clothing to help hide)
"Blowouts" can be messy (I've found the right amount of fiber to add to my
diet to keep consistency "just right")

I've got a few tips and tricks to share if you go with the colostomy route.

Aaron Mann