Thanks Dana for answering. Such a sad situation.

Nicki

C5/6

From: Dana Wray [mailto:daano...@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, September 5, 2021 8:37 PM
To: Gail Holmes
Cc: Jeffrey Gaede; Michael Galvin; <quad-list@eskimo.com>; Eric Olson; Nichole
Rohling; Julie
Subject: Re: [QUAD-L] Lori Michaelson

Lori and I emailed and talked on the phone. She had written me in June and I
saw the email after I got out of the hospital and then I had to go back to the
hospital for exploratory surgery. I wrote her but didn't hear back from her. I
should've tried calling her, because in her letter she didn't know where she
was going and she was trying to find a home for her beautiful dog. She had
medical issues from the nurse that was improper and not sterile,sringmylia that
cause pain, like Julie said being uprooted from her sisters home. I don't think
they understood or liked her having caregivers coming in and out of the house.
It's what a lot of us face when we don't have enough care. She receives Social
Security from her husband and her own but it wasn't enough to pay caregivers,
her apartment and living expenses. She wasn't able to get any help from the
state. She loved her scrapbooking and her dog that she walked every day. She
had a great caregiver and after she left she got a new one, but they were
leaving. We were trying to find out everywhere we could post an ad. It is often
so difficult to find specially if you have limited funds. This is what happens
to a lot of quadriplegics and why they get sores and die. I wish they would do
a study on this but with the current administration, I don't think they would
do anything to help situations like this. I don't know what kind of care is
available in the state of Arizona. I don't know if there's anybody else on the
quad list that lives in Arizona She had a wonderful niece that would spend time
with her, but she lived out-of-state, maybe Texas. I'd have to look up in my
old letters about specifics. I loved her and enjoyed talking on the phone and
emailing her. I will truly miss her. I lived in a nursing home for three years
and it is a long story. All home facilities don't know how to take care of
quadriplegics and don't have the staff. It's like a death sentence to go to a
nursing home after living independently all your life and having a dog that you
dearly loved. I pray that she died in her sleep and didn't have to suffer. I
don't know that we will find out what the cause of death was. We have lost
quite a few persons that I miss. it seems. I'm not familiar with you Julie. I'm
on Facebook. I've always enjoyed the quad list and learning about other persons
facing the same problems and learning from them. Dana, 47 years post, C4-5,
tracheostomy, ileoconduit. Those of the hospital for 10 days for two kidney
infections, sepsis and ammonia in June. Several weeks after that I had
exploratory surgery to find the kidney stones. My urologist couldn't find
kidney stones. . I have tubes hooked up to my kidneys that are turned off right
now. My kidneys were not draining properly. Has anyone else ever had this
problem. I'm assuming I will have to go back to the kidney doctor. My urologist
could only use the camera in the ileoconduit and ureters not the kidneys. Three
weeks ago I ran out of the suction catheters. The company they switched me to
would not answer the phone. Thanks to Jim Lubin, he gave me the name of the
company he uses, and I hope they will be shipping to me soon, before I run out
of the ones I had to buy privately. I contacted for five different companies
and none of them answered me. I don't have very many left.

We can write on Lori's Facebook page. Lori will be missed, she was such a good
communicator about her life. Let's make a list of those we have lost on the
quad list. We can remember them again.