Well these are articles from the LEM wes site so are you saying their opions
don't count?

Seriously consider upgrading to Mac OS 8.1 once you have 20 MB or more
memory (the 475 has 4 MB on the motherboard, so a 16 MB upgrade gives you 20
MB total). Mac OS 8.1 includes updated Open Transport drivers for your modem
and Internet access, far better support for the 68040 processor, and lots of
neat new features you'll quickly become accustomed to. I've seen the install
CD for as little as US$29.

 So my vote is Mac OS 7.5.5 on pre-68040 models, 8.1 on 68040 and PowerPC
machines, and either 8.1 or 8.5.1 on Power Macs and Maclones.

68040-based Macs should use Mac OS 7.6.1 (unless 7.6 is unavailable, in
which case they should run 7.5.5).

James