>I recently was given a Q605 that had been upgraded to a full 25MHz 68040,
>and I'm enjoying it immensely, it being my first venture beyond the world
>of the 68030  :-)

Well done, another man entering the world of the 'feets mac' Micro
Quadra. They are lovely little machines and, as a LC officio it's the
one machine I want to get my hands on.

>However, I've noticed that the processor chip gets quite warm after a period
>of operation.  This chip has no heat-sink.  Is that normal?  Or should it
>have one?

If it's running at 25MHz it should be OK. The fan in the base of the
605 draws air through the top-back of the case (look for the slots in
the lid at the back ,they are usually full of dust :) ) off the logic
board all the time when the lid is shut so it keeps it cool. The
reason the huge towers have heat sinks is because large volume of the
case means the air flow is not as good, mind you the fan in my 840av
is pretty huge!

Mark Benson
Any spelling errors are attributed to PEBKAC

Vintage Macs List Nanny

SilValleyPirate - AIM
silicon_valley_pirate_uk - Yahoo!

Visit Flat Pack Macs Online: