On Sunday, October 26, 2003, at 01:47 PM, Robert Little wrote:

I just keep getting the Macs here...
Was gifted recently with 8 machines from my place of
employment (they were being retired, and I didn't want
to see them trashed), and included in this mixed lot
was a Quadra 605. It chimes, but will not boot. All I
get is a black screen. I'm going to assume that this
is one of those irksome PRAM battery problems, but I
just want to be sure before I go any further. Also, if
it is a battery issue, is there a way to get it to
boot without one (some trick I might not be aware of)?

There surely is. Turn the 605 on, and leave it on for about 5-10 seconds (I wait long enough for the HD to stop its tik-tik-tikking when it starts up). Then turn it off for half a second, then back on - it only has to be off momentarily. If it's the battery problem, on that second turn-on it should come up with video and boot as normal (depending on the state of the HD in the machine :). Incidentally, http://www.danamania.com/605/ is the address of my (ever unfinished) 605 info pages, if you need to know a little more about them in general.

be well,
dana
--
http://www.danamania.com/