On Sunday, Jan 19, 2003, at 10:17 Europe/London, victoria.duggan wrote:

> Hi All I did was plug in the video lead from the camcorder and start
> apple
> video player and the mac does the rest.
>  It gives me two control panels, video and video selection with s-video
> /stero/ video.
>
> I just choose the one I have my device plugged into. My only question
> was is
> there a faster one because my 840AV is rendered useless whilst doing
> video.

I'm afraid that fact it is only a 68040/40MHz means, despite the AT&T
66.7MHz DSP chip, that it needs all it's power to digitize video. The
vast majority of the CPU time consumed is actually I/O from the RAM to
the disk that it is recording to. Either way you will still not be able
to use it if you use Adobe Premiere 2, 3, or 4, Avid Videoshop or
anything else. It's the actual process of digitizing and saving to disk
that is taking up all the CPU cycles, not Apple's software, which use
very few CPU cycles on an 840av when it is just displaying video from
one of the ports.

--
Mark Benson

AIM - SilValleyPirate
Visit FlatPackMacs online: <http://fpm.gotdns.com>
Vintage Macs List Nanny

"Never send a human to do a machine's job."
                                -The Matrix