I've just read http://www.lowendmac.com/quadra/630ram.shtml which describes how a 630 can get an extra ram slot by soldering on a 72-pin ram slot into the empty pads on the motherboard. However, that doesn't fit with my 630, that "extra slot" which is just solder pads doesn't have enough pins! the other slot has all 72 pins.

Is this article mistaken, or are there other kinds of boards? Either way what would this slot be for?

There seem to be two versions of Q630 motherboard. The one you have, and another one with solder pads for a second 72-pin ram slot.

The smaller slot (with 64 pins) might be for a ROM simm.

Ciao,

Dirk