Jeff,

You could always remove the GALs and try to extract the program... If they were not protected you will be fine (just don't overheat the devices or you will ruin the program). The GALs themselves are standard 16v8 / 20v10 parts (if memory serves), but the speed will likely be a problem if you try running it at 160% of it's rated speed (much like the SRAM). I have both a 25 MHz and one or two 33 MHz cache cards, but where there are in my piles-o-stuff is another question, if I can (easily) find them I will let you know the speed ratings of the devices.

GALs are a very bad thing for us vintage Mac users. People worry about eventually not being able to get power supplies or pictures tubes, when they should also be concerned about what is going to happen when the program in their computers GALs degrades to the point of corruption. Modern devices have a fairly long program life, but some of the older chips were only guaranteed for around 20 years (although hopefully they will last much longer than that).

Realize that the performance boost from this type of cache card is minimal. Since there is no true cache controller in the system (unlike the 68030), these cache cards are (I believe) single segment, fixed memory space write-through caches which probably sit at the bottom of the system memory and help most with system calls.

Derek