I have found (at work) that if a GAL is overheated in the process of removal or installation the program can be corrupted. Whether or not the device is actually damaged I cannot say as I discard any device which is overheated (rather than have it act quirky or fail prematurely in the field). To program them you will definitely need at least one PLCC adapter. As I mentioned, if memory serves, both 16V8 and 20V10 devices are used on that card (although having it in front of you, you will know for certain) and the 20V10 is a larger device.

I cannot say whether a GAL is more sensitive than other programable devices such as (let's say) a PROM, but they are definitely more sensitive than hard wired devices. As for a GAL getting warm... It is possible that if the program became corrupted you could have had contention on one or more outputs, but realize that GALs consume a LOT of power (relatively speaking - even the quarter power devices), and the faster they run the more they use.

A PLCC device is just about the most difficult thing to remove you will likely find in an older mac. The only thing which comes to mind which is more difficult would be a BGA package (and you would probably only see that in a late model NuBus video card). The most effective way to remove a PLCC is to use a SMD rework station with the correct size LCC / PLCC hot air tool. As for myself, I have been soldering and de-soldering just about everything ever since 2M school in the Navy.

It is common to protect GALs as a means of preventing copying by the competition (or at least making it more difficult). Where I work protecting GALs and programable micro-controllers is standard practice. It is always possible to figure out the program in a GAL, but it can be VERY time consuming and tedious.

Whether or not it is worth your effort to play around with this project of yours is up to you to decide. I too love the old Daystar products... I am the proud (original) owner of an SE/30 specific 50 MHz PowerCache. A fine piece of engineering indeed!

Derek