At 5:45 AM -0500 10/26/03, Scott Holder wrote:
>Terry Graham wrote:
>
>>Hey Scott,
>>
>><snip>
>>Re. the .bin, it seemed Graphic Converter in combination with Stuffit Deluxe
>>6.0 was busy opening it but in the end a "corrupted file" message -51 came up.
>>
>Many files downloaded off the internet have lost their resource forks, rendering them
>"generic" to the eyes of the Mac OS. Usually it's smart enought to figure out .bins
>should go to Stuffit, or worst case, pop up the application choosing thingy with
>Stuffit as an option, but occasionally other things wil override that and mess it up.
>Fortunately, .bins are designed to avoid damage to the underlying Mac files. Dragging
>and Dropping is the best bet, it'll force it into Stuffit.
>
>It might be better getting the .bin to your friend rather than what you'll get out of
>it, it'll much more nicely compact and all in one place.
>
>Scott Holder

Thanks Scott!

I'd forgotten how technically brilliant you are!

I worked it out last night; i.e., discovering that Acrobat 6 and .dmg
as I suspected were relative to OS 10.

I downloaded the mysterious .bin of Acrobat 5.1 for OS 9.x

Selected the .bin and used Stuffit 6 to "expand" (rather than dub-clicking)

The expanded archive yields a .sit web link and Acrobat Installer.

The acrobat installer connects to the web and does the full 10MB or
so download, placing Acrobat in Applications (OS 9).

All of my Acrobat 4 icons changed to the new and my System Folder
prefs file changed to V. 5 even before loading the new version.

Thanks,
Terry