> Hello again everyone!
>
> My Thunder II GX 1600 video card has developed a problem:
> On the screen, I'm getting white vertical lines about a quarter-inch apart
> that run across the entire screen.
> The white lines are perfectly parallel and evenly spaced.
> They resemble dotted white lines (not solid) and they're always there.
>
> At the "millions of colors" setting, there is also a strange
> lavender/pinkish tint to the picture which flickers a little bit.
> This pinkish/purple tint disappears when I change the setting to "256
> colors"... so the image colors are then normal... BUT the white lines are
> still there!
>
> The only setting that makes the lines disappear is "Black & White".
> When I set the video card to Black & White, the display looks normal.
>
> Can one of our resident experts please help me figure this out?
>
> Here's what I'm thinking could be the problem:
>
> 1. A bad VRAM chip on the video card
> 2. A defect in the special adapter cable that this card uses
>   (13w3 to DB-15 adapter)
>
> I have ruled out any issues with the monitor (i.e. I've tested the card with
> several different monitors, but the lines & pinkish tint are always there).
> I have also tried the card in different NuBus slots, and in three different
> Macs (Quadra 840av, IIci and Workgroup Server 9150).
> Nothing helped.
>
> Please let me know what you think I could do.
> I am experienced with test equipment and a soldering iron, so I could
> replace a defective VRAM chip if only I could figure out how to tell which
> chip is bad!
>
> If it's an issue related to the video cable (13w3 to DB-15) then I would
> just replace the cable and be done with it!
>
> I eagerly await your replies - TIA!
>
> Greg Shafritz
Hi I would remove and reseat the vram chips. In pairs

I sometimes get this with the formac card I have in my 6400 if the cable is
knocked it unseats the card slightly a quick push down and the card is
re-seated Lines disappear and back to normal. Also used to get it with the
840av I had that turned out to be bad vram.

Vicki